Objective: Students will browse the Genetics Science Learning Center Website to learn about basic genetics, including the structure of DNA, transcription and translation, and the relationship between genes, proteins and traits.
Site Location: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/ .............Click on the link that says "Tour the Basics" .
2. What does DNA stand for? __________________________________________________
3. Why is DNA called a blueprint? __________________________________________________________
4. The "twisted ladder" shape of the DNA molecule is called a _________________________________
5. Name the four bases found in a DNA molecule: _____________________________________________
6. A DNA strand is made of ________________________ which make up ___________________ which make up sentences.
7. These "sentences" are called _________________________________________________________
8. What is a gene? ________________________________________________________
9. Blood cells use a protein called _________________________________ to capture and carry oxygen.
10. When a gene is changed, it is said to be _________________________________________________
11. A mutation in the hemoglobin gene causes what disorder: _____________________________________
12. If you stretched out all the DNA from a single cell, how long would it be??
13. How many chromosomes are in a human cell? _____ a mosquito? _____ a carp? _____
14. How is a protein like a car engine?
15. Receptor proteins are responsible for picking up ___________________________________________
16. Each gene in DNA encodes information on how to make a ____________________________________
17. Once in the cytoplasm, the ___________________________ reads the message.
18. The passing of traits from parents
to child is the basis of ____________________________
19. Every child receives______________ of its chromosomes from his mother and half from his __________
20. When a sperm and egg join, they create a single cell called a ___________________________________
21. Each child inherits a __________________________ set of chromosomes.
22. Give an example of a physical
23. A dog fetching a bone is an example of what kind of trait? _________________________________
24. Scientists describe the set of information for each form of trait as an ___________________________
25. What word is used to describe having two of the same alleles? _________________________ What letters would be used to describe someone with a straight thumb? _______
26. What letters would be used to describe a heterozygous combination? _________
27. What combination of alleles are possible in a child if the parents are Hh and Hh (there are four)? ______________
28. Give an example of incomplete dominance: _______________________________
30. Build a DNA molecule. What is the base pair rule? ____________________________________________ Practice building DNA for a while.
31. Define transcription: _______________________________________________________________
32. Define translation: _________________________________________________________________
33. Follow the instructions for the activity. List the amino acid sequence you created._______________________________________________
30. Fireflies glow to attract a __________________
and to avoid ______________________
31. RNA polymerase binds to the ______________________ gene.
32. When transcription is complete, the LUC mRNA moves to the _____________________
33. The ribosome interprets the mRNA to produce a string of _____________________________
34. In order to become a functioning luciferase enzyme, the string must ____________________________
35. The enzymes bind to ____________________________to create light.