In this internet lesson, you will review the steps of meiosis and view video simulations of this type of cell division. You will also view an onion root tip and calculate the percentage of cells at each of the stages of cell division.
1. Give an example of asexual reproduction. a new plant grows out of the root or a shoot from an existing plant.
2. What is a clone? exact copy of the original organism
3. (Click the next button) What is the difference between haploid and diploid?
haploid has one set of chromosomes, diploid has two
4. What is the diploid chromosome number for humans? 46
5. Egg and sperm cells are [ haploid / diploid ] (click the next button)
6. Name the stage of meiosis 1 where each of the following occurs:
|Homologous chromosomes pair and form synapses||_________prophase I___|
|Bivalents align at metaphase plate||________metaphase I____|
|Two complete daughter cells form||_______telophase I_______|
|Nuclear membrane disappears.||_______prophase I_______|
|Nuclear membrane reforms.||_______telophase II__|
|Chromosomes move to separate poles.||______anaphase I_____|
View the meiosis 1 and 2 animation
12. At the end of meiosis 2, each cell contains how many chromosomes? (click the next button) 2
13. Name 2 errors that can occur during meiosis. nondisjunction & translocation
Test Yourself - Try some of the problem sets on the test yourself pages.
14. Label these phases