Color the map according to the clues listed below. You may need to look at a map of North America. Place a check mark in the box once you have completed that step.
1. The dotted lines represent the border between the U.S. and Mexico
and Canada. All other lines show biome borders. Color the U.S. borders
(dotted line) red.
2. Northern Canada and Alaska are tundra - color the tundra light blue
3. Most of Canada is coniferous forest, also called a boreal forest or a taiga. Color the coniferous forest dark green.
4. The west coast of the U.S. (California) is temperate deciduous forest. The east coast, all the way to the center of the country is also temperate deciduous forest. Color both areas light green.
5. The Midwest (middle of the country) is temperate grassland, also known as the prairie. Color the grassland yellow.
6. The eastern edge of Mexico and Central America, Hawaii, and the Caribbean Islands are all tropical rain forests. Color those areas purple.
7. There is a northwest coniferous forest located in the far corner of the U.S (northwest). Color the northwest coniferous forest brown.
8. The great lakes and the lakes in Canada are freshwater. Find each freshwater lake and color it pink.
9. The bodies of water surrounding the continent are ocean. Color the coastal areas dark blue.
10. The western region of the U.S. as well as Northern Mexico is desert. Color the desert orange.
11. The western edge of Mexico is temperate deciduous forest. Color it the same color as you did the other temperate forests.
12. Color code the squares at the bottom to match your biome colors.
13. Label the countries: U.S.A., Canada, Mexico
1. Name the 3 main biomes of the
United States (land only).
2. What two biomes are closest to where you live? Place an X on the map to show your approximate location.
3. What U.S. state could a person visit a tropical rain forest in? What state could you visit a desert?
4. What are two other names for a coniferous forest?
5. Point out Alaska by drawing an arrow to it. What biome is found in Alaska? What animals would you likely find in this area?
6. If you traveled due north from your current location, what biomes would you pass through (just going to the north pole) ?
7. A person is driving from Los Angeles, California to Washington D.C. Name the biomes the person will pass through, in the correct order.
8. The following graphic shows a simplified version of biomes found across the world. Use the same colors as you did on the U.S.A. map to color the world map below.