1. The model is missing two labels. Locate where each of the following processes are being illustrated and label them on the diagram. Write a short description of the processes.
2. Fossil fuels are formed in the geological past from the remains of living organisms. Petroleum products, such as coal and natural gas are considered fossil fuels. Why are these types of fuels considered NONrenewable?
3. When animal and plants die, microorganisms, fungi and insects are responsible for decomposition. These organisms also respire. Show an arrow on the diagram to indicate respiration by decomposer. Scientists are concerned that melting glaciers are exposing long frozen animals. When the ice melts, the animals thaw and begin to decompose. How will this affect the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere?
4. Large areas of land are being developed. In the process thousands of trees are being removed and burned. How would this affect the cycle?
5. What activities can increase the amount of atmospheric CO2?
6. How could we decrease the amount of atmospheric CO2?
7. How does the diagram illustrate the relationship between respiration and photosynthesis? Explain this relationship.