Review the process of meiosis at: http://www.sumanasinc.com/webcontent/animations/content/meiosis.html
1. What is meiosis?
2. How many daughter cells are created at the end of meiosis?
3. What is the difference between a diploid cell and a haploid cell?
4. Why does an organism create haploid cells?
5. What is crossing-over? In what phase does it occur?
6. What is a homologous pair of chromosomes?
7. What is the difference between a gamete and a zyote?
8. Describe the differences between oogenesis and spermatogenesis.
9. Why is meiosis called a "reduction division?"
10. What is the difference between meiosis I and meiosis II
11. Where does meiosis occur in the body? Where does mitosis occur?
12. How does the process of meiosis result in UNIQUE gametes?
13. How does sexual reproduction result in unique offspring?
14. Label the phases and annotate any important events or features.
15. Examine the four daughter cells produced and their combination of chromosomes. Sketch what would occur if during metaphase 1, the chromosomes lined up as shown below. What would the daughter cells look like in this case?
Still confused about meiosis? Check out these tutorials: