In this internet lesson, you will review the steps of meiosis and view video simulations of this type of cell division. You will also view an onion root tip and calculate the percentage of cells at each of the stages of cell division.
1. Give an example of asexual reproduction.
2. What is a clone?
3. (Click the next button) What is the difference between haploid and diploid?
4. What is the diploid chromosome number for humans?
5. Egg and sperm cells are [ haploid / diploid ] (click the next button)
6. Name the stage of meiosis 1 where each of the following occurs:
|Homologous chromosomes pair and form synapses||_______________________________________|
|Bivalents align at metaphase plate||_______________________________________|
|Two complete daughter cells form||_______________________________________|
|Nuclear membrane disappears.||_______________________________________|
|Nuclear membrane reforms.||_______________________________________|
|Chromosomes move to separate poles.||_______________________________________|
View the meiosis 1 and 2 animation
12. At the end of meiosis 2, each cell contains how many chromosomes? (click the next button)
13. Name 2 errors that can occur during meiosis.
Test Yourself - Try some of the problem sets on the test yourself pages.
14. Label these phases